DIRECTOR OF REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT
JOB CLASS: Full-time; Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: With over 1,400 apartments and 27,000 SF of neighborhood commercial space in Nashville, UHS is the leading nonprofit affordable housing and community developer in Tennessee. The Director of Real Estate Development reports directly to the Managing Director of Urban Housing Solutions (UHS). The primary responsibility of the Director of Real Estate Development is to build and maintain a pipeline of real estate development projects and to supervise the execution of those projects from initial conception through construction, to lease-up and stabilized occupancy. Success in this position will be measured in terms of the scale, quality, pace, and financial performance of the development portfolio as well as the effectiveness, growth, and professional well-being of the Development team staff. The Director of Real Estate Development also has responsibility for enhancing critical external relationships to expand UHS business development opportunities, to assist with the quality control of existing operations, and to help UHS create examples for other developers in the region.
- Creates and sustains a robust real estate development pipeline consistent with UHS’s mission and strategic goals.
- Works with the Managing Director to identify acquisition opportunities, develop acquisition and/or development funding options, and evaluate overall project feasibility.
- Oversees the negotiation of all major agreements and financing documents, including limited partnership agreements, loan documents, construction contracts, architectural agreements, and property management agreements.
- Directs the Development team through all aspects of real estate development operations, including:
- securing acquisition, predevelopment, construction, and permanent financing;
- securing entitlements;
- building community support and working with various internal and external stakeholder groups; supervising architects, consultants, property managers, contractors, and other development team members;
- supervising architects, consultants, property managers, contractors, and other development team members; and
- monitoring development, construction, and lease-up processes.
- Monitors overall progress of projects in terms of budgets and timelines.
- Works closely and effectively with the Development and Community Resources teams.
- With the support of the Managing Director, creates departmental policies and procedures that promote high quality products and an effective work environment.
- Works with the Managing Director to advocate for policies, programs, and funding that support and expand affordable housing.
- Works with the Asset Management team to analyze and continuously improve building design and performance standards.
- Builds and maintains positive and effective relationships with external partners, including: investors; lenders; public agencies (e.g., THDA, MDHA); community organizations (e.g., Civic Design Center); and consultants, such as general contractors, architects, and others.
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Works with the Managing Director to advocate for public policy, programs, and funding that support and expand affordable housing.
- Serves as a visible and effective spokesperson for the organization and its projects.
The Director of Real Estate Development works under the supervision of the Managing Director. There is daily contact with the Managing Director.
The Director of Real Estate Development is responsible for supervising the Development team, including the Senior Manager for Design & Development and the Development Coordinator. The Director of Real Estate Development provides guidance and leadership to the whole team staff, primarily through implementing policies and procedures and then observing performance.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Ten (10) years or more experience in housing development, business, finance, urban planning or a related field, preferably for a non-profit, government agency, or private financial institution OR a relevant post-graduate degree with seven (7) years or more experience in housing development, business, finance, urban planning or a related field.
- Experience in all aspects of the development process, including planning, permitting, design, construction, underwriting, and finance.
- Proven ability to oversee the structuring of complex financial transactions to maximize both social and financial returns and manage corporate risk.
- Experience closing Low Income Housing Tax Credit funded projects.
- Several years of progressive responsibility in affordable housing development, including experience providing supervision to development staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team-building spirit; able to work closely and effectively with others within the organization.
- Supports diversity to ensure multi-talented team strengths; promotes a spirit of inclusion.
- Identifies employee opportunities for growth.
- As a public speaker, comfortable with a wide variety of audiences.
- Good presentation skills (PowerPoint, etc.) and excellent written communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem-solving.
- Resilient, versatile, and flexible.
- Commitment to the mission of providing affordable homes and supportive services to Nashville’s most vulnerable populations.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, with excellent analytical skills.
- Proficient in sophisticated real estate financial analysis using Excel and other digital platforms for collaboration and project coordination.
- Physical ability to visually assess and physically inspect all floors of multi-story properties without an elevator required.
- Job will include some evening and weekend hours
PAY & BENEFITS: $85,000/year. UHS offers all full-time employees health insurance, a 401K plan with an employer match, paid holidays, and mileage reimbursements; and offers salaried employees flexible work hours and paid time off.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Urban Housing Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
“This place is a stepping stone, and I’ve been stepping up.”
“I count my blessings every day that I found Urban Housing Solutions.”