Director of Asset Management
JOB CLASS: Full-time; Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Asset Management is responsible for preserving the affordability of Urban Housing Solutions’ portfolio of apartment communities to represent the financial goals and social mission of UHS. This includes: identifying and directing continual improvements to our portfolio’s economic performance; ensuring consistent compliance with LIHTC and other affordable housing programs; maintaining the properties’ physical upkeep and curb appeal; and coordinating with the Director of Administration & Community Engagement to ensure resident access to services and programming.
• Provides financial oversight of the properties, including drafting operating budgets and 5-year cap-ex plans, and monitors and provides monthly financials to assess performance against budgets. Acts swiftly to address budget variances exceeding 5%. The Director of Asset Management is ultimately responsible for the operating expenses of the properties.
• Is the liaison between ownership (UHS or one of its development partnerships) and property management. The Director of Asset Management is responsible for the property managers’ performance and ensures property managers and maintenance are operating to the budget. Implements, monitors and supervises all programs, budgets, contracts, contracted services, and staff related to rental property management and maintenance operations.
• Oversees the Leasing & Compliance Manager and their team, and establishes the leasing criteria for each property to ensure compliance with applicable housing programs and Fair Housing laws. Ensures that all leases and residents are in compliance with applicable programs.
• Confers with Managing Director on public relations. Directs and monitors the leasing and marketing of the properties. Provides guidance to property management on occupancy issues and advises on changes to rental rates and offered concessions. Manages property marketing materials. Seeks market data and assesses comparable properties on a regular basis.
• Visits stabilized properties no less than quarterly and transitional properties no less than monthly. Assesses the general physical condition of the building systems, housekeeping, and grounds. Confirms effectiveness and efficiency of property management staff (on-site and regional). Identifies and implements improvements to curb appeal and marketability.
• Coordinates with the Director of Facilities for the overall execution, including scope, design, budget and on-time completion of capital improvements.
• Coordinates with Community Resources team to encourage and support optimal social programming.
• Coordinates with the Planning & Development team to analyze and continuously improve building design and performance standards.
• Understands that property management requires after hours monitoring and accessibility. In the event of crisis management, determines how to proceed in partnership with the property managers and staff. In real time, conveys the issues to senior leadership.
The Director of Asset Management works under the supervision of the Managing Director. There is daily contact with the Managing Director.
The Director of Asset Management is responsible for supervising the managers on the Property Management and Leasing & Compliance teams, including the Leasing & Compliance Manager and Property Managers. The Director of Asset Management provides guidance and leadership to the whole team staff, primarily through implementing policies and procedures and then observing performance.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in business, real estate development, or a related field preferred, with sufficient experience to provide detailed and accurate financial analysis and strong leadership in property management practices and techniques.
2. Minimum of seven (7) years of direct supervisory experience; five (5) years of direct supervisory experience in a property management environment preferred.
3. Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing properties funded through Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers, federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), the HUD HOME program, SHP, and HOPWA; Certified Occupancy Specialist and/or Tax Credit Specialist strongly preferred.
4. Thorough knowledge of management principles, practices, and procedures, including landlord/tenant practices and laws.
5. Proven track record of success in management of affordable and subsidized multifamily rental properties; including good record of tenant relations.
6. Excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to analyze complex situations and develop timely solutions and manage shifting priorities, deadlines, and workloads quickly and frequently.
7. Strong computer skills, particularly with spreadsheets and purchase/work order systems.
8. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
9. Physical ability to visually assess and physically inspect all floors of multi-story properties without an elevator required.
10. Availability and willingness to respond to occasional property emergencies in multiple Davidson County locations on a 24/7 basis, excluding scheduled vacations.
PAY & BENEFITS: $85,000/year. UHS offers all full-time employees health insurance and a 401K plan with an employer match.
TO APPLY: Please email a PDF of your resume to email@example.com.
Urban Housing Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
“This place is a stepping stone, and I’ve been stepping up.”
“I count my blessings every day that I found Urban Housing Solutions.”